Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Temple Grandin

This review is actually from Jen. Just had to share this movie as it is one of the best that I've seen in awhile.

This movie is a biographical film of Temple Grandin, whom Wikipedia describes as "a woman with autism who revolutionized practices for the humane handling of livestock on cattle ranches and slaughterhouses." Claire Danes plays Temple Grandin and Julia Ormond (played Sabrina in the modern version) plays Temple's mother. They gave amazing performances. The film creatively portrays how an autistic mind views the world while at the same time showing the conflicts, emotions, and reactions that come with interacting with an autistic individual.

Apart from learning more about the history of autism (ex. how people believed a mother's lack of touch was a cause of autism), I also learned a lot more about cattle -- from the view of an autistic individual.

This film gave me a new view of autism. It also reminded me how specific experiences, comments, and individuals move us to discover our strengths through our trials. An excellent movie. Also completely clean. Don't remember even one swear word.

The film was released in 2010 through HBO. Found the copy I watched at the library.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'm putting it on my Netflix Queue now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this movie from Camille, our cousin. She had to watch it for a class and she loved it! I had forgotten about it, so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. You all watch a lot of movies. Cool blog.

    Weston

    ReplyDelete